Monday, November 30, 2009

Inspiration In The Dark.

Creative inspiration, so often thought to be a lucky thought that happens into one's consciousness, seems in my life to more often be motivated by need. The opportunity to solve a problem, be it how to fix a broken toy or what sculptural shape will satisfy a patron stimulates the creative thought process.

I am often surprised by the string of events and thoughts that lead to a new artistic creation.

Tonight lying in bed, in the dark, wishing my creative brain to sleep, I was inspired to do - well - nothing. Time to stop frantic work and just be. Just be an artist. After hours of wishing my tired brain to sleep a deep resolution took over to be the artist I was created to be. Not to settle for less. Not to worry about those who make money but will never see their work inside of an art museum or historical book. More importantly, to never create a work of art that is capable of stirring the soul.

It is very nice to stir the soul through the excellence of a work of art. A rewarding more compelling than any other.

The creative energy motivated by sleeplessness in the dark has led to contentment. I can spend my day with my hands not working on my art and all is well. The challenge of fitting artistic creation into a busy life is itself an exciting creative possibility. What unexpected art will I create as I use stolen moments for artistic expression? How delightful this path might be!

For a great artist the masterful work happens inside. The work of the hands is often the smallest portion of the creative process. I often create art in the dark of a sleepless night, during a walk, while preparing a meal, and finally show the world what I created with my hands, putting it all in a visible form. It is more satisfying to my soul to create a few profound works of art, than a lot of drivel.

I am creating a masterful fountain. I think you will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment